Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Downtown in Brown-town

Leaving home for three weeks, for me, is not a big deal. But this time, instead of just my family being left behind, I had to say goodbye to my exchange student, Carrie, who's returning back to China after living with us since October. After a tearful time at our 'last dinner', I went to bed around 11 PM, trying to get as much sleep as possible until my alarm was set to go off at 2 AM. After nearly drowning in my shower due to falling asleep, I did ten mental run throughs to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. When I was convinced, I bundled up and ran out the door to get to the high school. Luckily, I only live about five minutes away by car.

On the plane about to touchdown in Denver
I was a bit concerned about the weight of my suitcase, but it all worked out for the best. We had to wait in line to check in our bags because staff hadn't gotten there yet, but after they arrived, the queue moved quickly and we were soon in line for security. When we finally made it on to the plane, I sat between Kelly and Nick for the short flight to Denver. 

After a frantic run to find some (ridiculously overpriced) lip balm, we re-boarded the plane to finish up at the Providence Airport. Clambering out of the cramped seats, and stretching out muscles on the way to claim our baggage took the next half hour. 
First view of Providence

Thankfully, we all got to be in the same car! Though it took a lot of time and muscles, we all got to keep our luggage. Admittedly, between the three people and the mountains of luggage, it was  crowded in the back seat, but we found Hotel Providence in a short amount of time, only making a few wrong turns. Located in downtown Providence, the hotel is probably one of the most adorable places I've ever stayed. The lobby is full of cute nick-nacks,

When Kelly, Tayler, and I first walked into our room, we were immediately struck by it's adorableness. I don't travel well, so I took a quick shower before we went out to dinner at Cuban Revolution. The wait staff there could have used a lecture on punctuality, as we had to wait a long while before we even got our appetizers. I was almost excited when it started to rain on the walk back to the hotel, because I had earlier decided to bring my umbrella. To be honest, it was completely unnecessary because it was only a two block walk in a light sprinkle, but I was was glad that I brought something useful!

Now, the whole cohort is sitting in the boy's room, having a blogging party. We'll be going to bed soon though, because we have to get up early so we can drive to Wesleyan, in our huge Suburban. 
Mrs. Kaplan and the awesome monstrosity of a car.

1 comment:

  1. What can I say, Emily? Sounds like you got to enjoy the fun of modern day traveling: long lines, cramped seats and unreliability. After reading some of the other blogs I'm a bit ticked off about the rental car. We had two cars reserved and even paid top dollar for a second chauffeur to go along with you and now we have both of our drivers in the same vehicle. Avis's little screw up only cost us a couple to three thousand dollars. And you all get to cram yourself into a vehicle designed for fewer passengers.