Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm Shipping Up to Boston

Today we went to Boston! I was really excited to get to explore the city again, since it had been about five years since I last went to Boston. After a semi-rushed shower, I boarded bus number two (of ten!) and was able to catch up on a lost hour of sleep during the hour and a half trip. Just as we had in Newport, we headed straight for breakfast, stopping at a Dunkin’ Donuts.


A nice healthy breakfast later (a donut and Oreo Coolatta are healthy right?), we wandered around near Quincy Market, a building I definitely remembered from the last time I had been in Boston. I was searching every store and stand I could find to get a funny anti-Yankee shirt for my little sister, but none of them were nearly clever enough, so I settled on an amazing Celtics-related gift instead (I would say what it is but I don't want to ruin the surprise on the off chance that she finally reads more than just the title of one of my blogs.


After about an hour of wandering through the market, we decided we wanted to actually do something in Boston, and our friend who lives just 20 minutes away from Boston suggested we check out the New England Aquarium. I would have been willing to go pretty much anywhere as long as they had air conditioning, but actually getting to see something while cooling off sounded fantastic. Not everyone wanted to see the aquarium however, so only Emily, Sean (our friend from near Boston), Chrissy (a friend who happens to go to Carondelet in the Bay Area), and I headed into the aquarium.


Immediately we were greeted with a blast of cold air, and I knew that even if there was but one fish in the entire aquarium, I would enjoy myself thanks to the temperature. Surprisingly, there did happen to be more than one fish, and I had a great time; from walking on a spiral ramp around a beautiful cylindrical tank filed with stingrays, turtles, and massive mystery fish; to watching some of the aquarium employees work with fur seals, to seeing a massive group of penguins being fed, and the surprising amount of fights between penguins that followed. Three and a half hours quickly passed in this aquarium, and soon it was time to head back to the bus. I loved spending time in Boston and unwinding, and am ready to take a huge chunk out of my group project tomorrow.
A trainer and the gigantic fur seal he's working with.
A turtle in the tank located at the center of the aquarium.











No comments:

Post a Comment