Monday, June 25, 2012

Party at the Rock

Today we started our second week of class and our third week here in Providence, Rhode Island. After already having a full week of class, I knew this week would be even better. In class we discussed, the difference between Macroeconomics and microeconomics. Macroeconomics (which is what I am studying) applies to things on a much wider scale while microeconomics is the opposite. We mostly talked today about the vocabulary words in chapters 6 and 7 . While in the beginning of class Nick Coleman told us that today was going to be a boring day, I was very intrigued by today's lecture and didn't find it boring at all. We discussed GDP (gross domestic product) and the differences between real and nominal GDP. We then went into the unemployment rate. There are a lot of different factors that play into unemployment. It can be quite a confusing topic if you aren't familiar with the vocabulary words. Luckily for us, we have a great instructor and we breezed right through it.

As we sat in class today, one could not help but noticing the bellowing thunder outside. Although I was expecting rain today, I wasn't really prepared for the downpour. Luckily I had brought my handy dandy umbrella with me and was saved from the harsh summer rain. 

Since our homework was due tomorrow I, along with David, Ying, Nick, and Emily, went to the library and sat in one of the awesome study rooms that the Rock supplies. Not only was the library a great place to do work, it also gave us a great opportunity to dodge the rain. We studied for a little over two hours and helped eachother out with problems. A couple of the questions assigned were confusing to me but with the help of my great study partners I was able to complete my homework with ease. Overall it was a very productive day.

After a day of learning eventually it was time to eat dinner. Instead of the VDubb we now were able to eat at "The Ratty" (Brown really likes nicknames) which is a dinning hall closer to my dorm. While the food was very similar to the VDubb's, the Ratty is a lot larger and prettier. 

It's weird how fast time has gone. And while my dorm suggests that I have lived here for a while, this whole experience still seems surreal to me. I am so grateful for everything I have learned so far and have gotten to experience. And also for everything that I have yet to learn. This has definitely been adventure and while I know that it will have to come to an end eventually, I am very glad that I at least have two more weeks. Within these two weeks I plan on absorbing as much and information and meeting as many people as possible. So when I come back home to the lovely Bay Area, I will be ready to take on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment