Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's Tough to be the Taught

After six days of rolling out of bed and going straight into the day, today was a welcome relief from waking up early. Unfortunately, the Ratty, the dining hall right next to my dorm, is closed on weekend mornings, so we headed up Thayer for lunch. After that, it was time to work on homework. Our homework for this weekend was actually an AP test. It was weird, honestly, that we could learn the same amount in two weeks here at Brown and a whole semester at my high school. Granted, class is three hours a day, five days a week, but having students in a classroom that are actually invested in the material makes a marked difference in the amount that gets done. Until I got to sophomore, arguably junior, year in high school, approximately 50% of the students could have named 10 places they would rather be than in class. And honestly, 50% of the time, I could have counted myself with them. It is hard to be enthusiastic about a subject that you really don't care about. When I was captivated by a class, it was usually thanks to the instructor. That's why I'm really excited to go to college: I won't get a chemistry teacher who majored in biology and only took a few chem classes in college. All of the classes I hope to take will be taught by Nick Colemans, professors (and most likely some grad students), who are genuinely absorbed by their topic. So with the end of this Sunday, I'm not bummed out that I have class tomorrow: I'm really excited for our last week of class!

Scrolling down the blog, I saw all of the pre-departure posts from Brown Session II, and I could not be more excited, both for them and myself. We probably won't get to spend very much time together, because their first week will be so busy visiting colleges, and I'll be having class, but I still have hope that we'll meet up and we can show them the ropes before they actually come to campus. Session II's arrival is bittersweet, though, because it means that I'll be leaving so soon. It honestly does not feel like I've been here for three weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment