Monday, July 16, 2012

Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock

Another day of class. Another day gone. Time is running out and it's only a matter of seconds until the final day is here! 

Class started by dividing into six groups to talk about our homework. Our assignment was to interview any lady from a different generation about the role of women. I questioned my mom, who surprised me with her answers. I asked if she ever dealt with gender discrimination, her answer was, "Only on rare occasions. The time I can recall is during my childhood with my other siblings. I have two younger brothers, and despite their age or maturity they had the freedom to do anything they pleased, unlike me and my sisters."I thought my grandparents are super sweet and it shocked me to hear that was the way they treated their children. It made me think if they ever treated my brother different than me or vise versa. Hopefully things have changed in their minds and they see both genders as equal.

After our discussion, everyone was told to walk into the computer lab by Kisa. We were supposed to do independent work, but sadly half of the girls in my classroom decided to blast music, giggle hysterically, or dance. As you can imagine, this was a very hard time to think to myself. A couple of girls and I decided to detach from the crowd to find a different room. While working, Kisa, Sophia, or Christina would call someone in one by one to discuss about our action plan.

I was the last one to be called by Sophia. I sat next to her and went over my ideas and plans of how I want to execute my project. She pointed out that I might encounter some bumps throughout the road since I decided on a touchy subject. I want to expand my action plan to third world countries, but if that's not possible, I'll just develop it at my high school. Sophia made me elaborate more on the details and what will be my intro, body, and conclusion of my speech. From her help, I feel more confident and even more excited to present my action plan.

Later in the evening, we had Community Hours. We watched a movie called Iron Jawed Angels. This was about Alice Paul who is an American feminist that fought for women's citizenship and the right to vote. She had to endure negative comments and she dealt with time in jail for her efforts. This movie showed me the power that women hold and we can do anything we set our mind to. This made me think of my action plan, as long as I have supporters and I preserver, I will strive to accomplish my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment