Monday, July 23, 2012

Reflecting On the Past and Waiting for the Future

Leaving Brown was not as easy as I thought it would be. Although, no tears were shed from my part it still hurt to know that I would not see any of the friends I had made at Brown. The last day at Brown was very exciting for me. I kept repeating everything I had to say for my presentation over and over again in my head. I was very nervous and tried my best to not read my notes when I practiced my speech in front of my friends. When the time came for my presentation to begin I nailed it! I didn't hear myself stutter or talk too fast. I made eye contact with everyone as I spoke and didn't forget to smile. I felt such great joy when it was over. People asked me questions, questions that I knew how to respond to.

My Action Plan is to begin a program related to the one known as Big Brother, Big Sister in my community. I want to encourage high school students to volunteer and help out children who need guidance in their life. The objective of my Action Plan is to reach out to kids who are in emotionally unstable environments. I want to provide them a safe place where they could be whoever they want to be without being judged or made fun of. I mainly want to help children who are in elementary and middle schools because this is a time in a child’s life where they go through so many difficulties such as physical and mental abuse.

I became very interested in this when I began to volunteer at a place called The Latina Center. This is a non-profit organization that helps out Latina women who are going through domestic violence, financial issue, are single mothers, etc. While these women are at workshops that help them overcome the problems they are going through, I plan to take care of their children. Something that I've noticed from these children is that they don't act like a typical child would. They usually tend to isolate themselves and often show great fear in their faces. 

Through my program the child will be paired up with someone who will become a role model in their life and whom they could talk to and seek for support. My program won't only help children but it will also teach the teenager the importance of responsibility.

I know my program will be a great success will the help of God and if I set my mind to it. I have found so much support in my family and friends for my program to take place.

I thank the ILC for giving me the opportunity of being part of this wonderful program that has been a life-changing experience for me. Through this great program I have learned so much about colleges and what they have to offer. My mind has been widened to the great opportunities that the world has to offer in order for me to achieve my goals and succeed in life. As soon as I go back to school I will spread my experience with all of my friends and classmates because this is a program that everyone should know about.

Thank you ILC for all that you did for me :). I am now more aware and have so much more knowledge about colleges and the world I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment