Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thank God I Didn't Wear Make-Up

Everyday we do an energizer and today someone suggested musical chairs! Woohoo, public speaking!! Jennifer Madden works with the leadership institute and has been for 5-6 years. She took over the first half of our class today. She covered what to do and what not to do. The important key points were to make eye contact, posture, goal, preparation, charisma, questions and answer, logos, ethos, pathos, etc. Jennifer really helped me better my speech because I thought I was pretty good at public speaking. She gave a full description of everything you would ever need to know about public speaking and more. I feel that I am fully capable of executing a fantastic speech. I give props to Jennifer because she was standing and going us a lesson for two hours!

After the lunch break Jennifer flipped it on us. We broke up into three groups. One with Jennifer, Kisa, and the Leader Fellows. I was numbered off into the group with the Leader Fellows. I volunteered to go first to test the skills Jennifer told us about. I was in a dilemma, I had to choose whether to talk about    falsely labeling of organic food or where was the wheel invented. Honestly, I had no clue about the wheel so I tried to compose something about organic foods. The whole idea is to challenge by doing an impromptu speech. The feed back was great because people said I was inviting with my smile, had great posture, had eye contact, and did well considering that I had no idea what I was talking about.

When our class got back together Kisa wanted us to work on our action plan. My action plan is to create workshops that parallel to the Women and Leadership class. My thought process was; people don't get the opportunity to be in a summer program and be in the position I am in. I wanted women at my school to experience what I did over the summer. My plan is to put on workshops that hit the key point of this class, have a discussion, and have a viewing of Miss Represented.

Today we had community time from 7-9. Today was a more enriching experience. For the first activity was talking about the generalization and grouping of people. Everyone closed their eyes as they were handed a shape. Instantly, everyone but one merged into groups according to the shape they had. It was interesting because it connected to the high school dynamics, people tend to sway with people that look like them instead of finding common ground with someone outside of their group. The second activity hit me so hard that I nearly shed a tear. One of our ground rules was confidentiality so out of respect I can't discuss what happened. After we had a wrap up and I had a breakdown. I cried and after class people gave me hugs. This experience shows me that people care and i can relate with so many. 

No comments:

Post a Comment