Wednesday, July 4, 2012

When Forces Collide

Today started off with a special surprise visit from the Brown II cohort! It was nice to spend the whole day with them and to gather more helpful tips about what to expect from Brown. Each and everyone  of them agreed that the high temperature made it almost impossible to deal with. They also noted to beware of certain foods we choose to eat on campus. Nothing compares to prime rib or lobster, but who knows? I guess I'll be the ultimate judge of that.

Molly, Tayler, Emily, Wampanoag Native, and Myself
All 17 of us arrived in Massachusetts to tour around the Plimouth Plantation. We were shown a brief introduction of what we were going to see, including the Wampanoag Indians, the Pilgrims' village, and the recreation of the Mayflower. All this time at school I would hear stories about how the Pilgrims lived and how the Indians dealt with the new comers. I never expected that I would be given the chance to see in person the historical events that led back to the 17 hundredths. (I can't wait to make my history teacher back home jealous of what I've seen.) Our first stop was at the Wampanoag people. I was amazed to learn that the women were the chiefs in this tribe, not the men. The women were the ones that were able to choose their husbands and were given the power to dismiss or divorce them. The men would know if they were dismissed if all of his belongings were put outside their hut. This fact made me delighted that it related to the Women and Leadership course I will soon take. I can't believe that women held the power back then!

The Pilgrims' village had staff members that stayed in character every moment. They dressed in traditional clothing and even had an old English accent. If someone asked a question that was out of their time period, they would respond as if knowing nothing or ask back what do we mean. The homes were made out of wood, clay, and straw. It impressed me that those materials were able to keep its people safe from the harsh weather conditions of either heat or snow. After touring those two sites, we headed back to the cars to grab a bite and then to see the Mayflower.

Group Shot!
The ship was colossal! I tried to take pictures of it as a whole but unfortunately I was only able to take sections. On the top deck was where the crew members would work having four hour shifts. The lower deck was were the sleeping quarters were held along with a few cannons. There were a total of 130 people on board, but due to the bad health and sickness, everyone wasn't able to make it to their destination. Only 102 made it to Plymouth, but I think that's a reasonable number considering the long journey it took.




Finally, the tour session ended and off we go to officially celebrate the Fourth of July! Colors, bangs, and sparkles! Fireworks were lighting the night up and had all the Brownies in awe. I had amazing feelings that I was there to watch the fireworks, especially that Rhode Island is one of the 13 colonies that helped build our nation to this day. From past to present, much has changed. Tomorrow is the Dartmouth visit for me, maybe that school will change my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment