Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Heartfelt History on a Wild Wednesday

Where all the pow-wows of would have gone down.
There's no such thing as a calm day here in Providence. Today, we were off to the Plymouth Plantation (which they actually spelled Plimouth, but Microsoft Word is telling me that's wrong, so I'll stick with what I know) and to see Plymouth Rock. We had a little bit of a late start, partly because I woke up to David's phone call at 9:54, when we were supposed to be meeting at 9:45. I made quick of my usually hour-long routine, leaving my dorm at 10:01.  

An unfortunate side effect of getting ready so quickly is that I did not dress for the weather. Grabbing the first pair of pants that my hands came in contact with, I accidentally wore my long, dark, jeans. As a result, I nearly melted while walking around in Plymouth's heat. The tour was still a lot of fun, with many characters speaking exclusively in 1620's english. We got to see the pilgrim's voyage from both perspectives, both the Wampanoags and the English's. I could almost draw parallels between the disadvantages that the Native Americans had to deal with and my own; I won't, because I don't believe that not getting into a top tier school is anywhere near equivalent to death, but having to deal with different life situations is something that I'm very familiar with. 

The ever-controversial Plymouth Rock
After Plymouth Plantation, we went over to the rock where the pilgrims supposedly first stepped foot onto (now) American land. I only say 'supposedly' because, I guess, there is some controversy over that subject. I had no idea that Plymouth Rock was even a contested area of history. A couple blocks away from the rock, past a bunch of stages set up for the 4th, was the Mayflower II, modeled after the real Mayflower. Sadly, the original had been torn apart for scraps a long time ago, but historical societies had but their brain-power together and come up with this seemingly accurate replica. The ship was a lot of fun to be on, with a couple more in-character people aboard, spouting information in entertaining accents. What really stuck with me was the amount of people that fit into these boats, 130!
Brown Sessions I and II separated into our different vans, then went over to Providence Place to catch a movie, the new Spiderman. When the movie was finished, we raced over to India Point Park to watch the 4th of July fireworks! Perhaps I'm recalling this wrong, but I have to say, Rhode Island really outdid the Richmond Marina in terms of simple firepower. We were a little bit concerned for a while, because the fireworks seemed so small and across the bay, but at 9:30 PM, the show started, and lasted a good while. There were an amazing variety of colors and sizes between the fireworks, but all were loud and beautiful. 

East Coast fireworks







I honestly can't believe that we're ending the last week of class. Tomorrow is our final, and on Friday, we're doing our presentations. One dinner and brunch later, we'll be on our way back home. Even as I'm typing this, it just doesn't feel real. Being here almost feels paradoxical: I feel like I've been here forever- but at the same time, I feel like I've only just got here. That's the amazing thing about Summer@Brown, it's so easy to click with people, the campus, and the atmosphere, that being here for three weeks can pass by in a blink of an eye. But because you're so comfortable, your time here also extends past reality. I am so grateful to Don, Mr. Ramsey, Mrs. Kronenberg, and all of the sponsors of the ILC for giving me the opportunity to come here and see all of my options outside of California.

No comments:

Post a Comment