Monday, July 2, 2012

Potential Workaholic

Rain, rain, go away...
During the school year, I'd wake up 6:00 AM in the every morning to rush to my A Period (or 0 period) class on time, which started at 7:05 AM. For the past two weeks, I've continued waking up at 6:00 AM in the morning so I can get enough breakfast. Now, I don't even need my alarm clock anymore. My brain has already set itself to wake me up every single morning at 6:00 AM. I hope it's not going to be like this for the rest of my summer...

I got to class a few minutes before class "started". Professor Coleman was no where to be found, but Desi (our TA) was there waiting for us. We were, apparently, waiting for the late comers to class before we headed down to the computer labs. I had totally forgotten that we were going there today. I was really excited to see what we'd be doing in the labs. I asked Professor Coleman once, but all he said was "You'll see." I may be a guy who really likes surprises, but at the same time, I'm very impatient. I couldn't wait to find out what was in store for us in the room of surprises. Quite shockingly, we were asked to sit down at one of the large desktop computers and play... games? I know what you're thinking, because that's what I thought at first. Were we just going to sit here until 11:50 playing Solitaire on the computer? The answer is no. Instead, Professor Coleman showed us a really cool site that was like a bookshelf of economic games. There were too many for me to remember. We played two games, both of which were related to macroeconomics; not microeconomics. (Macroeconomics is way cooler.) The first one was basically a trading scenario between two trade partners. We would basically be randomly paired up with a person in the room, and be asked to make trade decisions with them. The second was about buying/selling shares where interest rates and market prices were also incorporated. Yeah, the games sound fun and all, but to me, it was like an extremely challenging source of entertainment. Overall though, I had an awesome time in the computer labs. We did some really cool hands-on games that only made me realize more about how much I've learned in my "Introduction to Macroeconomics" class. I grabbed lunch after class at the Ratty, since it was closer. Food was exceptional, but the ice cream was definitely delicious. Speaking of which, I kind of want some ice cream right now... 

All of my favorite people in one room (Avery Cheng, Noah Cowan, and Sai Shastry)
I took a nap after lunch, back in my room. At around 2:00 in the afternoon, I left my dorm and headed over to The Rock (library) to meet up with my group to continue working on our project. I was kind of lonely in the study room for 10 minutes or so, but Sai came along. He had some trouble finding my secret study room. We called Avery and Noah after, in case they forgot about our meeting. Once everyone arrived, it was crunch time. We split up into a few separate topics or questions that we wanted to cover in relation to the Greek crisis. The sun turned into rain clouds a few hours later, without us knowing. We left the library at around 5:00 in the evening, feeling really accomplished. 

I went back to my dorm after to complete my homework. I had dinner after at the Ratty, again. We had a quick meal and later walked to the convenience store with Tayler so she could buy her cough drops. Halfway back to our dorms, we decided that we'd do laundry together tonight. So, Ying and Tayler went back to their dorms to get their sacks of laundry. and met back in room. As we waited for our laundry to finish washing and drying, we had some amazing bonding time. We all watched a movie together, while blogging. It was a really great way to end the night. 

An old picture from "Pleasant Surprise" that fits in with
my lesson of the day
I knew that coming to Brown wasn't going to be all fun and games. But as a result, I haven't been exploring as much as I would've wanted to. Most of this week has been homework and group projects. I guess I'm still getting the hang of the whole "planning your day out" thing. However, I've learned that life isn't always going to be the way you want it. Just like today. The sky was bright and the heat was burning, so I decided not to bring an umbrella. Why the extra luggage, right? About an hour later, you can hear the skies rumbling and showers of rain pouring down. Just like in the computer labs. I didn't know what we were going to do, but I still got the hang of it after a while and even started enjoying it. Tomorrow marks our last day of actual class (Wednesday is no class; Thursday is test; and Friday is project presentations and departure). I've been telling myself all summer that I'll be ready to leave when three weeks are over. Now, I'm not so sure anymore. If there was a way to extend it for another week, I might take a shot at it. But what do you know? Maybe a surprise is already out there, just waiting right around the corner for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment