Saturday, July 7, 2012

Last Hours to Brown

The Harvard “tour” was definitely a different experience compared to the previous college tours we’ve taken this week. Though we got to watch two pretty cool presentations in the amazing Sanders Theatre, we weren’t able to physically tour the campus. I guess its Harvard policy to only let families on tours, not groups. We were a pretty big group since the Brown I cohort was there with us. Ms. Kronenberg also joined us, so that made the chaperone count go up by 1.

Harvard is beautiful
I knew that Harvard is a top college, due to its really huge reputation AND impact on society. It’s obviously a well-known top of the line institution. But this wasn’t the impression I got when I visited. I am grateful though, because their admissions officer for the northern part of the country gave us somewhat like an information session. They offer the same basic opportunities that other big colleges offer. They are a need based college and vow to cover a student’s 100% demonstrative need, they go with the common app, they offer financial aid, and they have a lot of courses to choose from. Also like most Ivy League colleges, they do not offer merit scholarships. I learned a little about the student life from two alums and one current student that also stayed to talk to us. Harvard guarantees housing for all of their students, which is convenient because the college looked really big.
Outside of the Paul Revere House with Romina.. and some friends
Anyway, I didn’t get much of a positive atmosphere in Harvard. Maybe it was because we didn’t really get a formal tour and the weather flat out sucked. It was hot and humid, and then it was sprinkling.  I’m grateful for having the opportunity of meeting the admissions officers though. It was really nice of them to take time out of their day to accommodate us. I don’t think that it’s for me, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a great school for other people. It’s a grand place… just a little too intimidating for me.
After we had lunch in Quincy Market in Boston, we visited Paul Revere’s house and then headed back to Providence and had some downtime. Boston was a little too busy for me, but it was a beautiful place.
Waterfire event!
The highlight of my day would be the dinner at Mill’s Tavern. It was a casual, more laidback dinner and there were no guests. It was just the Brownies, the chaperones, Ms. Kronenberg, and Mr. Ramsey. All of the Brownies sat in one long table. I talked a lot to David. He seems to never stop talking about Brown and activities that we could do, which is always helpful and interesting. I never knew that there are so many things to do in such a small place. The whole table was filled with laughter and good vibes. It was a good bonding experience because all of us shared something about ourselves through our stories. After dinner, we walked to Providence’s Waterfire event. I’ve never experienced anything like it before so I really tried to enjoy it while it lasted.
Tomorrow is a big day for the Brown II girls! We are finally moving into our dorms at Brown and we are attending the big Brown Brunch. I am excited and anxious; excited because I am finally starting my college experience at Brown and anxious partly because I don’t know what to expect. But I am ready for whatever Brown has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the caption about Romina and her friends. What you failed to mention was that Romina’s friends are pretty well armed. Sometimes those are the best kind of friends to have.

    Sorry about the sorry “tour” while at Harvard. I’m not sure if they fully appreciate the impact they had but disrespecting you all like they did is not the way to win friends.

    There’s no way for them to have known this at the time but your blogs are currently being read by people in 26 different countries. And when you get home, I’m betting that you’re going to tell us others about your very negative impressions about Harvard. Bad word of mouth publicity can be a very bad thing.

    ReplyDelete