Saturday, July 7, 2012

HARDvard

In all honesty, as I looked through the list of schools we were to visit during our trip (this was months ago), I was most looking forward to exploring Harvard because of its name. I had no clue about all the other Ivy League schools. I thought I would love nothing else but Harvard because of its high reputation. Ironically enough, this was my least favorite. I instantly felt like an outsider when we stepped foot on campus. The buildings AND students seemed so intimidating! The information session did not make anything any better because only videos were played to present Harvard. Although the videos were pretty interesting, I would have learned a lot more about Harvard had it been an actual person speaking for it. Moments after getting up for the tour, a lady stopped us from going for a reason I'm actually not sure about. Confused about the situation, I just followed the rest of the group outside. I found this very inconvenient because it was sprinkling outside. 
This Harvard building scared me a little...
Boston is beautiful!!
After a while, Admissions Officer Mr. Roger Banks was kind enough to bring us back in. We still did not get the tour that we've traveled all the way there for, but we did spend one hour absorbing information from Mr. Banks and three Harvard students who accompanied him. Most of it was the basic information that we learn from every school, but what appealed to me the most was their financial aid system. 100% of Harvard students graduate debt-free. Other than that, I really wanted to wrap up the entire question-and-answer process because I felt like a bother to them. However, I'm grateful that they took time out just to make up for any inconveniences. A few of us were a lot more engaged in questions than others. Throughout the entire hour, I unfortunately found myself zoning out, thinking about Dartmouth! When I got back into the car, I realized how little interest I've expressed towards Harvard. I think it will stay this way from now on. Harvard is an extremely prestigious school, but I don't think I would belong there.

The remainder of the day was spent in Boston for a lunch at Quincy Market,  a tour of the Paul Revere house, and typical tourist strolling. I didn't express as much excitement as I usually would because of the negative mood that Harvard practically set me on. 

Waterfire is amazing.
6:30 came about, meaning it was finally time for dinner! I haven't said this before but I personally appreciate Mr. Ramsey's taste in restaurants because of the variety of food that we eat. This time, dinner was at Mill's Tavern. By the end of our 3-course meal, my shirt felt much shorter and tighter. I was so relieved to hear that we were going to burn those calories off by walking to the Waterfire at the heart of Providence. Sitting right by the water was absolutely soothing, regardless of my fear of heights and drowning. I had a nice time (even though it was only 5 minutes long) reflecting on the past week and what's happened to me so far. 
Words cannot describe my anxieties for tomorrow. It's a bit bittersweet, though, because I finally started to feel a forming bond between Brown I and II. Tomorrow will be our final meal together (the Brown Brunch) as a whole Brown group. The Brown I cohort is currently depressed about their nearing departure. My cohort, on the other hand, is only starting our Brown journey. Goodbye cozy hotel rooms, hello Brown dormitories. College life, here we come.

3 comments:

  1. Romina,

    I’ve been reading all of the blogs from the Brown cohorts and I’m reading pretty much the same thing: how disrespected you all felt by Harvard and how they encourage dishonesty.

    Had you all,lied to them and told them that you were there as 14 individuals, I suspect that they would have taken you on the tours. But because you maintained your honesty, they treated you with disrespect and failed to honor their agreement for a tour.

    I suppose they’re used to dealing with people who don’t know the difference between right and wrong but I’m proud of our ILCers.

    I’m also proud that they saw Harvard for what it is in the real world as opposed to the myth the world believes about it.

    With 3600 universities in the US, what’s important is to find the ‘perfect fit’. I think that after today that list has been narrowed by one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Don. They weren't very courteous, but they were not completely disrespectful either. Also, my title wasn't a typo. I purposely spelled it HARDvard for a pun.

      Delete
  2. Romina, it's ok to feel uncomfortable but please don't let yourself be intimidated by Harvard or any other prestigious university (or the people at it). As Ms. Kronenberg said on Sunday at the brunch, we all believe in ILC students and have invested the energy and money in you to prove it. You're amazing in your own right, and you need to believe that at all levels of your being.

    ReplyDelete