Monday, July 9, 2012

From the Ocean State to the Golden State


The day had finally come for Brown Session I’s last day in Providence. It would be our last day to make last minute memories, and be together as a cohort. As I packed any of my stray belongings, I couldn’t help but have a feeling of sadness wash over me. This was truly the end. We all dressed up in our fancy attire, to head to the Brown Campus Alumni Center. Today was the annual Brown Brunch. I was speaking at today’s event so I was really nervous. Once we got there it was time to eat. The food station was spectacular with made-on-the-spot omelets, different meat options, and muffins. While in line, Mr. Ramsey introduced me to Dr. Jabbar Bennett who would be today’s keynote speaker. After talking for a second, it was decided that I would save him a seat once I was done making my plate.

Once he joined me in the dinning room of the Alumni Center, we had plenty to talk about. He is originally from North Carolina and is the Associate Dean of the Graduate School, The Associate Dean of the Division of Biology and Medicine, and the Director of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. For University he attended two Historically Black Colleges before going to Harvard Medical School. We talked about the Ivy League Connection, his role at Brown, and about my future plans. It was a really interesting conversation and I am very glad to have met him.

Once brunch was done we moved into another room to begin today’s designated program. Up first Guy Sanchez spoke about his role with the Ivy League connection, followed by Robin Rose, the senior associate dean of continuing education, Ms. Kronenberg and Mr. Ramsey. Eventually, it was my turn to speak. As I was giving my speech I began to get emotional for right at that moment is when it hit me that I was actually leaving Providence. Talking about my experiences, my cohort, and my chaperon, Ms. Kaplan, brought in a flood of emotions. I am so grateful to have had this experience and have gone through the program so successfully. This is an opportunity that many people will never have and I definitely do not take that lightly.

After I went Maddie Pine also gave a speech and did a great job. Up next was Dr. Jabbar Bennett who spoke about his life and life lessons. He was really inspiring and has been very successful in his life, which is something that I strive for. I am really glad to have gotten the chance to have had an actually conversation with him because he was very motivational. After his speech we took a group photo and then it was time for Brown I to make our way home.

My time with the 2012 ILC has come to an end and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. So thank you to everyone who made this all possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment