Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sick but Supported

Having a cold and living 3,000 miles away from home is a mixture of terrible and eye-opening. Being used to having my parents around to feed me any kind of soup I wanted is a lot different than going to the dining hall and having the choice between a hamburger or pasta. Not that I'm complaining; it's definitely a much-needed wake up call for me. When I do leave for college, I won't be able to call my parents from the other room and ask them to bring me some water. You have to make do with what you have, and pick yourself up. Of course, RAs and other dorm mates are very supportive and kind, supplying tissues 24/7, but it's not the same as homemade rice porridge.

The atmosphere as I'm writing this blog, the 90's pop hits, the almost distracting laughter, and the henna being drawn on my ankle makes me realize how quickly I've found a community here at Brown, and how much I'm going to miss it when I have to go home. It's crazy to think that in just a few weeks, I've made some amazing friends who I'll, thankfully, get to stay in contact with through social medias when they return to their respective cities, states, and countries. 


I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with everyone I just met, but it'll be nice to meet up with Brown Session II, and not have to explain all the slang I use. Tomorrow, for the 4th of July, we're going to Plymouth Plantation. We leave at 9:45 tomorrow morning, so I get to sleep in a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment