Sunday, April 29, 2012

And It's Begun


The ball has finally started rolling! After a potluck, blog tutorial, and a meeting to finalize our blog, the fact that I’m going to Providence this summer is really sinking in.

Brown & Columbia potluck
Our joint potluck with Columbia was a lot of fun, with a ton of great food. Even though I ended up taking home (and eating most of) a giant plate of sushi, I was really happy to have met both my chaperones, and some fellow cohorts. When Ms. Kaplan and Mr. Crosby started talking about what we needed to bring on the trip, and the other schools we would be visiting, it was hard for me to sit still in my seat, I was so excited!


I was looking forward to the blogging tutorial with the same amount of anticipation as I did the potluck. I’ve never blogged before (this is my first post, ever!) and I’ve always wanted to learn. The tutorial was not exactly what I expected, but was still extremely informative. Don’s packet with pages on pages of notes on both blogging, and being a quality ILCer was tremendously helpful; I’m the sort of person who writes things down to remember them, and not having to take notes for three hours on a Saturday was definitely a relief. Not sitting next to someone I knew was a bigger challenge then I would have expected, because I brought my laptop, and sat in one of the desks on the side, all by myself. In hindsight, I could have moved because I brought my laptop, and they are decidedly mobile, but I instead sat in that horrid seat that was attached to the desk, and made the most awful noise whenever I forgot and attempted to scoot my chair in.

After the blogging tutorial, the Brown cohort needed to set up a meeting, which was held at El Cerrito in the yearbook room, also known as my second home. During deadlines, it wasn’t uncommon for me to be in the room until nine or ten PM, so the blogging meeting was not a big deal. I did have a good time with everyone who showed up, and I think that the blog ended up looking very well. I’m really happy Ms. Kaplan came as well, as her energy is so infectious. Don really helped as well; we would probably still be working on the banner if it weren’t for him.

All in all, it was a great first few meetings, and I can’t wait for the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment