Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ivy League Connection meets the School Board!

Going to the School Board Meeting last night was really cool! It was interesting to see how the meetings run and how the community is involved. I was so grateful for all the support I felt last night from the donors, the board, the parents, the chaperones, everyone. 

I arrived at LoVonya DeJean Middle School at 6:00 PM to find lots of well dressed ILCers congregated outside the school and soon we all filed in to the auditorium and had a short meeting reviewing how the presentation would go. After that, we sat through a very lively and interesting hearing. It was great to see our community in action and I felt very proud to be a part of the West Contra Costa Unified School District. The Ivy League Connection was the second item on the agenda so when the hearing finished, one by one, our cohorts were called up in front of the board. Our chaperone introduced each one of us and told the audience a little about the class we'd be taking and the schools we'd be visiting. When all the presentations were done, two past ILCers spoke about their experiences and how their lives had changed because of their time with Ivy League Connection. They are successful and confident college students now and that was so inspiring to me. And if it's possible, I became even more excited for the summer. 

I am so grateful for all the support and encouragement that was expressed at the meeting and I am proud to represent the West Contra Costa Unified School District on the East Coast this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment