Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Boulevard to Brown

Tonight I experienced a momentous occasion, the annual Brown dinner. After everyone arrived to the El Cerrito Plaza BART station and bought their tickets, we all boarded the train dressed to impress. It was a short ride to San Francisco but by the time we got there everyone was yearning in anticipation of what the night would bring. 

When we arrived at the historical Boulevard restaurant we were led down to the bottom floor where we had our own private room where many alums and sponsors were waiting for us. For about twenty minutes we had a chance to mingle with the various alums and sponsors. I , along with Iris Wong, chatted with two alums who had actually been roommates at Brown. They told us of their experiences with teachers, classes, and the campus itself. They gave us advice that not only applied to Brown University but to all colleges in general. After twenty minutes everyone began to find their seats and introduce themselves to people at their table. I sat next to Adrienne Eng and Libby Heimark, both Brown Alums.

Soon enough the waiters came around and took our orders. I order the Lobster Bisque, the Pork chop, and the Lemon Tart. All three were delicious and will continue to have my mouth watering for the next couple of days. 



The program started with Madeline Kronenberg introducing everyone and then having us all go around the room introduce ourselves and telling the room an interesting fact. After many laughs, the first speaker, Simon Hong, who is a Brown graduate of 2005, spoke about the importance of mentorships. After him Andrew Gonzales, a senior at PVHS who will be attending Brown in the fall and graduating in 2016, spoke about what he was looking forward to as he heads of to Brown. He is a two time ILCer who attended both Cornell and Brown with the ILC. He is a prime example that the ILC really does work. Next, Nick Shebeck and Abigail Serrano spoke on what they want to bring back from their experiences at Brown this summer. Lastly, Charles Ramsey gave the evenings closing remarks.

We then turned all of our attention to the delicious food in front of us and the magnificent company around us. Speaking to both Adrienne and Libby really open my eyes to what life is really like on the Brown Campus. Libby told me about several of the best food trucks to keep an eye on while at Brown this summer. Herself, her husband, and two sons have all attended or are attending Brown. Adrienne gave me advice on how to transition from high school life to college life and how big of a change it will be. Both of these women were really inspiring and I'm glad I got a chance to meet them both. All of the Brown Alums were really proud of their school and really excited that we would get a chance to experience it. 

Adrienne Eng and I

Libby Heimark and I
I can't believe the Brown Dinner has already come and gone. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting at El Cerrito High School nervous for my interview. This experience already has opened my eyes to the possibility of attending an East Coast school. I can't wait to get to Brown, a super cool school.

No comments:

Post a Comment