Thursday, May 31, 2012

Antsy Pants

I just got home from the orientation, and I cannot sit still. In the time it took me to write that sentence, I got up five times because I am too excited to be immobile... But now it's time to  focus.

After the dinner last night at Boulevard, I eventually got to bed around 2 AM. Four hours later, I was waking up to get to school. Needless to say, by the time I got home I was essentially brain dead. I took a quick power nap, then I made a sandwich for dinner and it was off to Pinole MIDDLE School (a close call). 

My mom, sister, sister's schoolmate, and I arrived safely on time at Pinole, but I only got one bite of my sandwich, probably one of the most disappointing things that's happened to me in a while- I make a mean PB&J. We all walked up the aisle, checked in, and then moseyed inside and found a table. 

During the actual orientation, the chaperones were reintroduced, and then Don got a hold of the microphone, and guided us through what some of the essentials were going to be needed. I've only been in humid weather once, during summer in Japan, and I can honestly say that it was one of the most uncomfortable periods of time I've ever lived through. Of course, the fact that I was in Japan, and am going to be at Brown, more than make up for the sticky weather. 

After splitting off into groups, we talked specifics. This is where my jitters began. There is literally less than two weeks until we leave! I've started to decide what to bring, but I already know that I'm going to have to limit how many pairs of shoes I bring.. 

Following the cohort discussions, we all merged together again. Don and Mr. Ramsey made a few comments about cell phone usage- which is not a problem for me because I have a 'dumb' phone, not a smart one- then Mr. Ramsey spoke again. Hearing him talk about how proud he was of all the students really made me so motivated. I can't wait to get to Brown, be the best ambassador I can, and try to help this program grow!

As I'm sitting here, finishing up my post, I keep getting distracted by the Brown website, or the itinerary. In less than two weeks, I'll have finished my junior year of high school, and will be at a college campus. And even though I'm tired, I know I'll need to have a dance party of one tonight to get rid of all my energy. As lonely as that sounds, I'll need to do it now, because in just a bit I'll have roommates- and I'm trying to make a good impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment