Monday, November 19, 2012

Wins and Losses

I'll admit, I was a little bit nervous about going to the Raider's game with all the mentors; it had been so long since I was at an ILC event and I was concerned that my social skills had evaporated, due to long periods of seclusion while working on my college applications.

There was, of course, nothing to fear. As soon as the ice was broken, thanks to some delicious gumbo, everyone fell right back into the swing of things. The Raider's box was certainly different than most of the ILC settings I was used to, but it was still incredibly luxurious. There was really no better place to watch the Raiders miss pass after pass after pass. And of course, the company was even better. I got to talk for a long time with Corynn Brodsky, after coming on the BART with her and her sister, as well as Emily, Kelly, Ying-An, Don, and Mrs. Kronenberg. I also had the pleasure of sitting next to Simon for a good portion of the game.

It's a really scary, and important, time of my life right now, and I continuously find myself overwhelmed with all of the life decisions I have to make.  What do I want to do when I grow up? Where should I apply? Who's going to ask me to prom? All these questions, and so few answers. Thanks to my mentors a good portion of these fears (excepting the date conundrum) can be lessened, if not alleviated.

It's the season to be thankful , and I know that I am so grateful to both my mentors and the mentor program.  I had an amazing time at the game, though slightly petrified of the fans, and I do feel much more at ease with the college process with some advice from my mentors. Though the team may not have won, I certainly felt like I came home victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment