Saturday, March 31, 2012

An Introduction

Pouring rain greeted me as I stepped out of the car for this morning's tutorial at Hercules High School. As I entered the campus, and hurriedly made my way to room 106, I was filled with a sense of excitement for the hours ahead. I was eager to meet new people and to gain a better understanding of what to expect on a day-to-day basis at Brown University.

When I arrived, the computer room was almost full. After checking in with Don, I sat down in one of the few empty seats and introduced myself to the girl next to me. After a quick conversation it was nearly 9:00 AM, and time for the tutorial to begin.

Over the course of the next few hours, I gained insight relating to specific details of the program. What to bring, how to take good photographs, and how to behave were all important topics discussed. The most formidable topic addressed, however, was how to blog. We discussed proper formatting and used classroom computers to practice posting pictures and text. At first I was a little confused, but with guidance from Don, and help from my neighbor, I was able to gain a basic understanding of how to use the website. Hopefully, with practice, blogging will become second nature to me. 

During a break, I had the opportunity to meet my chaperones and to talk to other students who are going to Brown University over the summer. I am really excited to get to know everyone better. I know that the summer will be fun. 




1 comment:

  1. Emily,

    See--blogging's not so hard. And once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you weren't blogging every day before you joined the ILC.

    ReplyDelete