Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Exciting First Step


Spending three amazing weeks at Brown University really prompted me to start thinking more about college. Before my trip, I hardly knew anything about the admissions process, let alone where I might want to go to school. Now I know more, but I still have a long way to go before I feel confident in applying to a school that actually feels right for me. When Don and Mr. Ramsey sent us an email regarding a college mentor program I knew that I wanted to be a part of it.

After a breakfast meeting with a woman to discuss my action plan, my mom picked me up and we headed down to the Plaza Bart Station. We arrived at 9:40, with plenty of time to converse with people before our 10:00 AM departure. On the ride to The Olympic Club, my mother and I were fortunate enough to drive with Peter, a Dartmouth alumnus, and Karen Shebek, Nick’s mother. Peter, having been a Dartmouth admissions officer, provided really helpful advice regarding the college admissions process. One of his most valuable tips was to finish a draft of your personal statement before you start your senior year. I’ll definitely keep that in mind during my free time next summer.

When we arrived at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, we were given the opportunity to mingle with Brown and Yale graduates. I was able to talk to two sisters, both of whom attended Brown. Izzy Ramsey, who graciously hosted the event, then gave us a tour of the beautiful club. The giant windows with stunning views of the golf course and surrounding San Francisco area really gave the building a unique feel.

Soon it was time to eat and everyone split into his or her respective Brown or Yale group. I was situated next to two Brown alums that both loved the college. I spoke to a woman named Liz who went to El Cerrito High and actually lived in the dorm I stayed at during my time at Brown! It was great to already have a connection.

About mid way through the meal, Mr. Ramsey introduced himself and let others speak about the mentoring program. Hearing about the casual events where students are able to meet with their mentors sounded really great. Being the oldest of my family, it’s hard to know where to start regarding the admissions process. Having someone as a guide will be of great benefit to me.

The brunch today really helped me to gain confidence in my ability to apply to college in a successful way. I was able to meet amazing graduates, all of whom would make a great mentor. I’m looking forward to next few months when I have the opportunity to attend programs related to the mentor program. Getting a head start on college is important and today was the perfect first step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment